Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pinterest Food find, overnight oats.

Okay so cooked oatmeal is NOT my favorite--REALLY not my favorite.  But I thought I would give oats another try, my grandpa would make his own version of overnight oats, it intrigued/grossed me out...So as an adult I decided to see if I could palette it.  GUESS what?!  I found a recipe I really enjoy.  When I make this recipe I usually split it in half because one "serving" seems to be to much for me.  here is the base recipe and then there are different recipes for flavored, I have added the two that I've tried:

Recipe and photo credits: Wholefully

Ingredients:

     ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
     ½ cup (heaping) rolled oats
     ⅔ cup unsweetened milk of choice
     1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxmeal (I've only used Chia seeds)
     ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
     Pinch of salt
     0-2 tablespoons honey or coconut syrup

Instructions:

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Spoon into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.

Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating.
Strawberry Cheesecake:

1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup (heaping) rolled oats
⅔ cup unsweetened milk of choice
1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax meal
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
¼ cup chopped fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons softened cream cheese
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
Chocolate Peanut Butter:

⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup (heaping) rolled oats
⅔ cup unsweetened milk of choice
1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxmeal
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup

I currently store these in old canning jars, they have glass lids.  But you can also store these in any airtight container you have.