Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pizza crust and sauce

Yeah, I know I said I've been back....I've done a few creative things, hung out with my kids, tried to stay out of the AWFUL heat, and vegged! Last night though I tried a new pizza crust and sauce recipe--we made Calzones--YUM! they were good!

The crust:

1/3 cups water

2 teaspoons sugar

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons cornmeal

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder--I added 1 tsp. dried onions....

1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

*Optional*

1 tsp. Italian seasonings

How to make it

Mix all ingredients.

This makes two crusts or 6 large calzones.

Either divide dough in two or 6 and form.

Let rest in pans for 10-15 minutes.

Add toppings of your choice.

Bake 350 degrees F. Until done (Approximately 20 minutes, depending on your thickness of toppings).


The sauce:

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1 whole bay leaf

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice


How to make it

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.

Cook over medium heat until sauce starts to boil.

Lower heat and simmer, covered,for 30 to 45 minutes or until it is as thick as you like it.

Makes enough for 2 pizzas.


(last night I actually halved this recipe....)


These are supposed to be copy cat recipes for Pizza hut. They were good! My 7 1/2 year old gave it a thumbs up. My 11 year old actually ATE it! And my 9 year old was happy to eat pizza of some sort!

I promise I will post my creations soon. I'm enjoying the fact that my kids have kids kamp for 3 hours in the afternoon, at least for those three hours I don't feel like I have to be the referee!

Thanks for stopping in!


2 comments:

Jamie Harder said...

mmmm sounds yummy:-)

bethchien said...

I absolutely LOVE homemade pizza!
and I absolutely HATE spammers! ugh! lol
that is why I moderate every comment now. More effort, but at least they don't get the satisfaction of showing up on my blog.
Hope you are having a great week!