Thursday, October 23, 2008

Another couple of Yummy recipes!

Okay, so do you ever get tired of making the same things over and over again?!  And for new recipes do you ever not want to try something because it has ingredients that are strange or you will never use except for this one recipe?  ME TOO!!  I went to an Enrichment night (Ladies gather from my church once in a while to share ideas) and they spoke about gardening, fall decorating, and recipes.  My good friend Joyce shared these:
Varsity Chowder
2 cups water 1/2 cup carrots
1/4 cup chopped onion 2 cups diced potatoes (about 3 small potatoes)
1/2 cup chopped celery(1 stalk)  1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Cover and simmer above until tender. DON'T DRAIN!

Make a rue with:
1/4 cup margarine or butter 1/4 cup flour
Add to it 2cups milk & 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
Once your rue is nice and thick and cheese is melted add to vegetables stir and serve.  
**Optional add 8 crispy bacon pieces crumbled.**
This was so easy, I think it took me all of 30 minutes to have it ready.  My sons non-soup eaters LOVED it and asked for it again.  I will definitely double the recipe next time!  With my soup I served:

Flat Bread
2 cups warm water 4 Cups flour
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar 2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. yeast
Mix together (I have a Kitchen aid mixer).  Let it raise once (about double, mine was about 45 minutes).  The dough will be STICKY so soften 1/2 cup butter (I used less) and spread dough out on a GREASED cookie sheet.  Sprinkle butter, herbs (your choice) I used garlic, rosemary, thyme, parmesean cheese.  (you can use basil sesame seeds).  Place in preheated 350 degree oven bake for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: